International co-operation is a core part of the competition-related work at the OECD. The OECD Competition Committee is at the forefront in shaping of new and more effective forms of co-operation to the benefit of enforcers and business.
In line with the OECD project on international co-operation in competition enforcement, a Hearing was held at the OECD Headquarters on 17 June 2014 to discuss Enhanced Enforcement Co-operation and possible new and different forms of co-operation among agencies.
Future challenges agencies may encounter when enforcing domestic laws against cross-border practices were also addressed together with issues such as the recognition of foreign cartel decisions and advantages and disadvantages of voluntary “lead agency” and one-stop-shop” models.
Four speakers were invited to share their insights on possible new forms of co-operation and live up the discussion.
Speakers papers and presentations
- Prof. Michal S. Gal (Faculty of Law, University of Haifa, Israel) presented her research on recognition of foreign decisions, and the criteria for such a system to operate in cartel cases Paper | PPT
- Chief Judge P. Wood (U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit, United States) reviewed the legally approved ways in which courts in different jurisdictions are permitted to assist one another, and how those might help the international cooperation effort Paper | PPT
- Dr. John Temple Lang (Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton LLP, Brussels, Belgium) reflected on possible models based on the “one-stop-shop” principle, and discussed advantages and challenges of such approaches Paper
- Prof. Oliver Budzinski (Institute of Economics, Ilmenau University of Technology, Germany) presented his research on “lead agency” models and discussed how these models could work in practice in the competition enforcement area Paper | PPT
- Presentation by the EU on cooperation in inspections
- Presentation by the ACCC on Australia-New Zealand Cooperation
Executive summary with key findings | Synthèse
Detailed summary of the discussion | Compte rendu detaillé
RELATED LINKS AND MATERIALS
International Co-operation and Competition Home Page
OECD report on the OECD/ICN Survey on International Competition Enforcement Co-operation, 2013
1995 OECD Recommendation on International Co-operation
Recommendations and Best Practices on Competition Law and Policy
All Competition Policy Roundtables
Other Competition issues under discussion
Competition Home Page
OTHER TOPICS DISCUSSED IN JUNE 2014
Generic Pharmaceuticals and Competition
Financing of the roll-out of Broadband Networks
Competition in Public-Private Partnerships